Alexander Bay is named after Sir James Edward Alexander who in the 1860’s began exporting copper. However this period of prosperity was short lived, and by 1875 the exporting of copper came to an end and Alexander Bay resembled a ghost town
However in 1926 Diamonds were discovered and Alexander bay was given a new lease of life.
Alexander bay is the Northern most Town on the west coast of South Africa. The Orange river which meanders through most of the central parts of South Africa, enters the Atlantic at Alexander bay and forms the border between Namibia and South Africa. The wetlands at the mouth of the Orange river have been declared a RAMSAR (The Convention on Wetlands of International Importance) site.
Coordinates: 28°35′S 16°29′E / 28.583°S 16.483°E / -28.583; 16.483